What is a Farm Share?
A Farm Share is a lot like a CSA (which stands for Community Supported Agriculture). Just like in a CSA, Farm Share members support their local farmer by signing up in advance for weekly or biweekly boxes of fresh seasonal produce to be delivered to neighborhood drop-sites throughout the city during the growing season (June-October).
THE BIG CHANGE……
We just partnered with Harvie, an online farm share management program, that offers new features such as:
- Customizing what vegetables you receive in your share
- Easily rescheduling your share or changing delivery dates
- Built in cooking and recipe tips plus connect with farm share members all over the world (literally!)
- Easy payment plan options
- Add “extra” products to your order
When you join our new customizable farm share, you will get the same quality ingredients and farm-to-table connection you’ve come to expect from us over the years, but with the addition of making it easier for you to use and enjoy all your items. You’ll see less food waste and enjoy a more convenient and personalized farm share program!
What It Means to Be a Member
As a member you are:
- Supporting your local small farmer
- Saving money on produce compared to grocery store prices
- Establishing a strong relationship with how your food is grown
- Minimizing your carbon footprint by eating local non-packaged food
- Supporting sustainable agricultural practices (the farm is certified USDA Organic)
- Discovering delicious new vegetables!
What to Expect as a Member
In addition to your boxes of freshly harvested produce, you’ll receive:
- A Sandbox Organics tote-bag
- 15% discount at our Farmer’s Market stand
- Weekly newsletters with recipes and pictures of that week’s share items, news and pictures from the farm, and more
- Pick-up day reminders
- Invitations to on-farm events where you can see where your food is grown, get to know your farmer, and share delicious food with other CSA members!
Farm Share Info
You can expect to receive the equivalent to one full grocery bag of produce with each pick up (more during peak season!), including occasional fresh culinary herbs.
Members are allowed one make-up share to be rescheduled for another pick up date or at the end of the season. This allows flexibility for travel plans or unexpected responsibilities. Members can also choose to have a share picked up by a friend or family member from any of our neighborhood pick up locations (one week advance notice required).
All shares are delivered to be picked up on Sundays from our neighborhood pick up locations in Logan Square, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Edgewater/Rogers Park, Lincoln Square, and Andersonville.
- Summer Share (weekly and bi-weekly options) – Members receive (18) weekly or (9) bi-weekly deliveries of fresh seasonal vegetables (mid June through October). Find out about our Worker-Share Program here.
- Flower Shares (weekly and bi-weekly options) – New to the farm fields this year! Bring home the beauty of locally grown flowers delivered fresh with your vegetables or on their own. A shorter season than our other shares, members can receive weekly (16 weeks) or bi-weekly (8 weeks) options beginning the last week of June through October.
- Fall Share (4 weekly deliveries) – Fall seasonal vegetables beginning directly after the Summer Share. Members can expect to enjoy Salad Greens, Beets, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Carrots, Chard, Collards, Garlic, Kale, Leeks, Lettuce, Onions, Potatoes, Radishes, Scallions, Shallots, Turnips, Winter Squash, Fresh Herbs.
Ready to sign up? Sign up here!
What Our Members Have to Say!
“This was my first CSA experience and I couldn’t really have been more satisfied. The food was BEAUTIFUL, and sustained my vegetarian diet all summer. I never had to go grocery shopping! It’s clear that Farmer Yoram values and loves his work…I could almost taste it! The quality and appearance of the produce goes unmatched.”
“The produce from Sandbox Organics is incredible, and Yoram is a thoughtful, energetic farmer. The watermelons last season made me daydream about summer days as a kid on my grandparents’ front porch on their farm in western Illinois – these little melons were so refreshing and intensely flavorful. And in these cold, dreary days of Chicago winter, I just can’t stop pining for the delicious tomatoes to come this summer!”
“The biweekly option was perfect for us so we didn’t waste any food.”
“Nothing tastes better or feels better than cooking and eating fresh local produce. The diversity of herbs and vegetables in each box was impressive, and there was always something exciting to discover. Cooking out of the CSA box really pushed me to try new foods, but my favorite part of Sandbox Organics is discovering a new side of familiar foods – aromatic garlic scapes, ripe juicy tomatoes, fresh sweet watermelons, spicy arugula picked the same day you eat it. Food just tastes better when it’s this fresh, and you can’t buy this stuff at the supermarket.”
“The quality of Sandbox Organic’s produce is excellent! The produce is super-fresh and keeps well in the refrigerator. Each box contains a good variety of vegetables. Pick-up is easy and communications serve as good reminders about what vegetables customers can expect from week to week. It also feels good to support Farmer Yoram who works really hard to produce and deliver a healthy product.”